Grade Eight – Religious Education Program Curriculum
Part I. Church History – The Journey of the Catholic Church
Theme: Jesus’ life and mission continue through the Church, the community of believers called by God and empowered by the Holy Spirit to be the sign of the kingdom of God.
- To deepen the young adolescent’s knowledge of the history of the Church.
- To lead the young adolescent to a fuller participation in the life and mission of the Church.
Part II. Morality – The Journey in Christian Living
Theme: Through our relationship with Jesus, we grow in an ever-deepening awareness of who God is, who we are, and how God calls us to live. Catholic Christian morality gives direction to our response to God’s call.
- To help the young adolescent grow in an understanding of the moral responsibilities arising from one’s relationship with Jesus.
- To help the young adolescent understand what conscience is and how to form his or her conscience according to the Catholic faith.
- To help the young adolescent learn basic concepts of morality and develop skills for moral decision-making.
- To enable the young adolescent to recognize the role of the Spirit and the witness and guidance of the Catholic Christian community in moral living.
Part III. Prayer – The Journey in Friendship with God
Theme: Prayer is an expression of our awareness of and response to God’s presence, love, goodness and saving power.
- To assist the young adolescent to grow in a desire for and appreciation of prayer as essential to the Christian life.
- To help the young adolescent, through the presentation and experience of a variety of prayer forms, to develop the ability to pray.